CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A "gospel" is not the Gospel.

Jesus Christ preached the good news of the kingdom (Matthew 4:23). In other words, he preached the gospel (Matthew 24:14).

Whenever I would hear the word "gospel" growing up, a vision Karen Clark Sheard, Yolanda Adams, or CeCe Winans would pop-up in my mind. At that time, they were my favorite "gospel" artists. They sang with carisma and gusto, and seemed to believe wholeheartedly in the message they were delivering. Their songs would play on the "gospel" shows on the radio, and I would see their albums in the "gospel" section in music stores along with other "gospel" artists. I, myself, would even sing "gospel" music in the choir, often at the top of my lungs! But, what I have come to learn is that the "gospel" I thought was the gospel, was in fact no gospel at all.

This is what apostle Paul had to say about the gospel:

"...This mystery is that through the gospel the Gentiles are heirs together with Israel, members together of one body, and sharers together in the promise in Christ Jesus." (Ephesians 3:4-7)

According to the Bible, the gospel is a mystery--meaning the reality is not disclosed to everyone. Through the gospel, we become heirs to the Kingdom of Heaven, we become one body, and we come to share in the precious promise of eternal life (1 John 2:25). Then, what is this gospel that Jesus Christ preached so ardently, and of which Apostle Paul proclaimed himself to be a servant?

0 comments: